Before Thanksgiving break, Dr. Cornell West gave a guest lecture at University of Memphis. For those of you who don’t know or who weren’t able to attend, Dr. West is a well-known professor of philosophy at Princeton University, and arguably the most popular speaker on today’s college lecture-circuit. West is known for having an eccentric, yet charismatic persona, being a staunch social activist, his works on race, democracy, and religion, and most importantly his appearance in the last two installments of the “Matrix Trilogy”—ok, not really. But, nonetheless, Dr. West spoke on president-elect Obama and the iconic significance of an African-American president for racial reconciliation.
Although a paltry amount of his time was allotted to discussing Obama’s future as president, West purposefully integrated his own philosophy of social equality and racial injustice. In light of being in Memphis, West argued that all peoples oppressed identify themselves with a “blues people”. West praised the genius of musical figures like Isaac Hayes, John Coltrane, and Mile Davis, explaining how the musical genre of the blues is representative to all peoples outspoken of the social or racial struggles in life. Furthermore, West addressed the importance of music as a positive tool for enlightening others of social injustice. As an avid listener of hip-hop, it was fun hearing Dr. West allude to musicians like KRS-1, Dead-Prez, and Talib Qweli who fight to make a positive difference within the black culture.
Nevertheless, West frequently referred to the term “white-supremacy” in his speech. Though I find this term the least bit offensive—as I find the meaning of its essence to be true—I couldn’t help but think how an existentialist would react to this term. Just to clarify, West’s use of the term “white-supremacy” is in every way indistinguishable from Shia and Sunni contempt for Kurds, Chinese disdain for Tibetans, or Amin’s ethnic hate for Ugandan tribes. The term “white-supremacy” accounts for the subservient view of non-caucasian individuals in the U.S. In particular, this term applies historically to the racial injustice blacks have and continue to endure. Although I don’t take issue with the deplorable reality of such a term, I do find Dr. West’s solution problematic as I think Nietzsche would agree.
One other important aspect to note about Dr. West is that he is a self-proclaiming Christian. Additionally, West integrates New Testament morality with his remedies for racial injustice. Subtle references to “the cross” and the biblical examples of Jesus as a persecuted figure contribute to West’s argument that ultimately the “poor in spirit” and the oppressed will righteously prevail. After hearing his adamant views on social inequality and its application to the Bible, I immediately wondered what Nietzsche would think about racial reconciliation. After all, West’s message is that racially oppressed peoples have been martyred for years. The parallel between the racially “oppressed” with the racially “supreme” is highly analogous to Nietzsche criticism of “slave/master” morality. While “white supremacists” assume the role of a biologically superior breed of society, as historically solidified by economic and political “successes”, minorities identify themselves as “victims” in an unwanted racial stasis, leveraging their biological disposition against white elitists. According to Dr. West, festering resentment seems to be an integral part of a “blues people” (i.e. Nietzsche’s “slave mentality”). By disregarding racial norms, as pre-established norms set in place by “racially elite”, West encourages racial transcendence similar to Jesus’ transcendence of Jewish laws.
Thus, as an existentialist, how does one respond to a racially torn society. Does one have the right to collectively identify himself with the causes of one's own race, displaying resentment towards others races? Or simply revolt?
My point here is neither spurn racial awareness nor questions is legitimacy, but rather address an existential approach--in light of Dr. West's solution--to the imperative of racial reconciliation. Your thoughts?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
First off, I think that Jean Paul Sartre's notion that "existence precedes essence" must be accepted in order to combat racism. This is a basic principle that needs to be accepted, especially to combat stereotyping, which feeds of essentializing an entire race. It is slightly humorous (yet sad) to read sample work from Kant where he explicitly states that there are "juices" that are constituent parts of the members of a race. Of course, he places whites on the top, but the idea that I have juices that essentialize my existence seems quite ludicrous. As you note, is hard to determine a solution in light of Nietzsche, because practically everyone is life-denying and slavish. For me, Camus would offer the best solution. The concepts of race and how they define our life (especially in America) is absurd. However, instead of just giving up, it is meaningful to revolt against the absurd standard. The execution of the revolt is enigmatic to me, because you cannot force responsibility on another, but at least you introduce a viable option into his/her consideration. Did Dr. West offer any solutions of his own?
I tend to agree with Cal. I think Camus presents a very good attitude to adopt when thinking about race relations and race reconciliation. As we exist today, in the United States in the 21st century, I think it is important to realize that many of the barriers between whites and blacks have been fairly succesfully torn down. I think further growth towards complete racial equality must be addressed on a more individual level as opposed to things such as changing government policy. Racial problems today stem from stereotypes and personal mindsets more so than political inequality. The historical facts exist to be reflectd on but not dwelled on. Past events and emotions should be learned from by both whites and blacks. Camus says that our mistakes and the feelings that go along with them are our greatest teachers and I think this is especially true when discussing a subject like race in the U.S. As far as Nietzsche's take on this subject...I think you can definitely run into a lot of problems here. I, personally, am not a fan of Nietzche's philosophical beliefs which makes me fairly biased. However, his teachings on slave/master morality certainly complicate the race issue.
Barring all of Nietzsche's personal antipathy towards the Jewish community, I think this is an especially effective lecture to contrast with Nietzsche's teachings.
Firstly, I think that no Existentialist would suggest that anyone "collectively identify oneself with causes of one's race, displaying resentment towards other races" because that is especially life-denying in that one would be saying "no" to the outside factors which color our lives and decisions. Instead, one should be more life-affirming, creating one's own positive self image, not concerning oneself with resenting others.
As for the revolting against "supremacist" races, well, I feel that the act of "revolting" would never be necessary if one were constantly life-affirming. I think that if one were to live as an Ubermensch, the yay-saying type of actions that one would perform on a daily basis could be perceived as rebellion when in truth, that was not the intent.
If someone were raised in an environment of hate and injustice, it seems reasonable that their valuation of self would be negatively skewed due to the overpowering outside negative pressure, but I think if that person were to generate meaning for his/herself, it would be more effective than reacting to negative externalities.
Oh, and I wanna echo Michael in that I think this is indeed a very individualistic endeavor, as racial reconciliation must be introduced into our society on a personal level. In the scope of Existentialism, I'd like to think that those who truly grasp what positive value-making individuals they are will also recognize that ability in other people and not judge anyone based on something as insignificant as race.
Post a Comment