As far as I can tell, scenarios like this are not unusual. I suspect we all know people, and in many ways are people, who live a routine, formulaic lifestyle and wouldn’t have it any other way. This sort of behavior is nicely conveyed by the character Cypher in The Matrix. For anyone unfamiliar with the movie, it’s about the world in which humans naively assume they exist. The catch is that none of it’s real. Instead, the actual world has been taken over by an army of artificially intelligent beings who have plugged the human race into what’s known as “The Matrix” or a computer generated world that looks just like the one we see around us. Then, while the humans are plugged into cyber space, the artificially intelligent beings use their bodies for energy. A few humans, including Cypher, escape the Matrix and try to take down the machines as a means to free humanity. However, Cypher the traitor in the group, turns against them in favor of returning to the imaginary world. The following scene depicts Cypher making a deal with the agents in charge of the Matrix that will allow him to return.
Here we see Cypher deliberately trading his freedom from the machine world for the Matrix, and in doing so, implicitly accepting that he is reducible to nothing more than a mere battery. He thus chooses meaninglessness instead of freedom and offers another clear counterexample to what the Underground Man argues is inherent in human nature.
To me, this suggests that Dostoevsky has offered an overly glorified and romantic assessment of humanity. In light of the examples above and our experience with human beings in general, I’d say we are very much inclined to be piano keys and organ stops. On rare occasion, a human might reject this and do something nutty to prove he has some semblance of control over his life. However, more often than not, we simply slide into what’s comfortable and exist that way until we die, despite how reducible that makes us. If humans did routinely commit acts of capriciousness as a means to assert their freedom and the meaningfulness of their lives, we would no doubt be a wonderful and unique species. However, as it stands, I remain unconvinced that it is in any way inherent in us to transcend our formulaic lifestyles. Instead, I think that we are greatly inclined to do just the opposite, making us far less remarkable than Dostoevsky suggests.
4 comments:
For the sake of argument, I think I disagree Jen, with your example of Cypher from The Matrix at least. Wouldn't Cypher's decision to reject freedom and return to the Matrix be an example of acting almost irrationally compared to the other's who have been freed from the Matrix?
It seems to me that Cypher fits Dostoevsky's example of "when man may purposely, consciously, desire what is injurious to himself, what is stupid, very stupid--simply in order to have the right to desire for himself even what is very stupid and not to be bound by an obligation to desire only what is rational"(45). In this fictional world of the Matrix vs the Real World, those who are aware of the Real World believe that is ridiculous to choose to live in the Matrix because of its calculated, routine nature. So it only makes sense that to break out of that popular mentality and motivation to overthrow the Matrix, one would choose to go back to the Matrix.
I guess this all depends on how often Dostoevsky believes that humans makes these anti-formulaic actions. Is one suppose to live life constantly breaking the norm, just because they can? Or, is it acceptable to make one huge decision that separates them from everyone else?
I agree on the note that it is not necessarily “inherent in us to transcend our formulaic lifestyles.” I sort of am wondering that while Dostoyevsky discusses this issue, who is really in charge of deciding what makes a life interesting or on the other hand, meaningless? Maybe a seemingly boring, formulaic lifestyle holds some sort of meaning for the individual living it. Really only the individual knows for sure. Maybe what looks on the outside to be a drab life holds excitement for the person. I think it really just varies from situation to situation. People generally, although I am aware that this is not in always the case, tend to stick with what is comfortable. Maybe we are just boring. This is also a little bit of a tangent, but in my Philosophy of the Mind and Consciousness class I was really fascinated by the idea that maybe humans are just simply bodies. Maybe the body is just a machine and what seems to be your mind or your soul is just simply a function of the brain. I don’t know for sure if this idea goes so well with this topic but maybe because we tend to be so set in our ways that it has something to do with the machine just preferring a simple, routine life. That might be completely off, but it briefly came to mind (or brain function perhaps?). Therefore, if we are just machines, then all of our life choices are kind of meaningless, for it only matters during the brief lifespan of the body. Again, it might be totally off, but it is just something that I was thinking about. Overall I agree with Jen on this point. I do not think we are nearly as exciting or rebellious as Dostoevsky might like.
I agree wholeheartedly with you, Jen—
It seems unlikely for someone like the gas station attendant to deny himself the “comfortable”, “stress-free” life of a West Texas farmer simply to avoid being labeled an “organ stop”. After all, as seen through Cypher in The Matrix, man will deny himself “true liberty” in order to experience the pleasures of the being apart of the “system”; hence why he chooses the matrix. The problem with No Country, in application to Dostoyevsky’s understanding of the incalculable man, is that it omits the possibility of man’s seemingly incalculable choice to live the “organ stop” life. Please correct me if Im wrong here.
What I don’t understand then is how one can judge the life of the gas station attendant? Yes, we, as “philosophers”, would disagree with the life conventional life, but is it then our call to judge what life is or is not worth living?
This is a good post, Jen. Your critique poses good quesitons.
-kyle w.
Post a Comment