One of my roommates, a psychology major, asked me one night if I knew anything about existential psychology. I, in fact, knew nothing about it, so, naturally intrigued, I had to research it more. How could you possibly encourage someone to become a functioning, happy member of society by reminding them of their finitude and freedom? It seems a more daunting, rather than encouraging, proposal.
Existential psychology started to gain popularity in the late 1950s. Rollo May, one of the fathers of existential psychology was a key editor of one of the first publications on the subject, entitled Existence, which was released in 1958. In his work, May focused on the conflict between the human as a subject and the human as an object. We addressed these concepts through Sartre with the difference between the en soi and the pour soi. May states that the tension between these two is necessary to preserve human existence. So, rather than telling people what decisions to make, May would try to help people “decide how to decide.”
May also addresses the trend in modern society away from the individual. With this decrease of individuality, there is also a decrease of responsibility. This would be “the They” that Heidegger talks about. The person becomes unindividuated and unidentifiable. As May puts it, “he has significance only if he gives up his significance.” By reminding a person of their status as an individual with freedom, May would awaken them to their ability to create their own values and make their own decisions concerning their life.
Irvin Yalom, who was greatly influenced by May, outlines four themes involved in the practice of existential therapy: death, freedom and responsibility, isolation, and meaninglessness. Clearly, these themes are not unique to therapy. We came across all of these, in one form or another, in all of our readings so far. Essentially, Yalom has just outlined for us the characteristics of anxiety or angst. For existential therapy, anxiety is seen as a guide, rather than something to be avoided or ‘cured.’ Truly, Heidegger also saw angst as a part of an authentic existence. It is a confrontation with possibility and the indeterminacy of one’s existence. Naturally, it is very easy, like the Underground Man, to get caught in the seemingly infinite possibility of choice and, therefore, be stuck in indecision and inaction. However, the angst of Heidegger and the anxiety discussed by May and Yalom orient the individual towards the future. This is a future of possibility and freedom, which can often be overwhelming. The goal of existential therapy, according to May, is the realization of freedom and meaning.
Initially, I admit I was incredibly skeptical of existential therapy. It sounded more like a fad from the 1960s than any serious psychological endeavor. My issue, I believe, after further research and reflection, concerns the idea that therapy usually works toward a specifically desired goal in the human psyche. Ideally, therapy can reach an ultimate conclusion. I do not believe that this is possible with existential therapy. The key is living without an answer.
Monday, October 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I realize that it doesn't count to comment on my own blog, but I just remembered that I forgot to put in a really helpful link about existential psychology. Here you go: http://www.existential-therapy.com/Index.htm
This is really interesting! I was really surprised to learn that something like existential psychology existed and was practiced. I looked at the website attached and what caught my eye was the part about Yalom and his four major themes, death, freedom (and responsibility, isolation, and meaninglessness. Yalom says that these are the root of most psychosocial problems and do not have ultimate answers. I agree with what you say at the end of your post that existential therapy does not reach the usual goal of therapy, which is a conclusion. Yalom says that conclusions are not what existential psychology is all about. From what we have read in class and what you have presented here in this post, I believe that existential therapy would just increase the patients overwhelmed feelings and instead of the satisfaction of coming to a conclusion about his/her self, he/she would be left with more questions without answers. Death, Freedom, Isolation, and Meaninglessness are heavy and overwhelming concerns that send many seeking professional help. I can imagine that those who have experienced existential therapy were very frustrated when at the end of their session they realized they were billed for their visit and left the office with a pat on the back and the knowledge that there are “no ultimate answers”.
Okay, rereading your post and I have one question. In the fourth paragraph, May outlines the theme of meaninglessness, but in the end of existential therapy you come to the realization of freedom and meaning? I'm just a little confused. So are you supposed to realize that life is finite and meaningless or are you supposed to find meaning through infinite freedom at the end of the therapy? If it's the first case, I can understand your skepticism of existential therapy. It reminds me of the character in I <3 Huckabees, Caterine Vauban, who's emphasis of teaching relies on the utter meaninglessness of life. If the point of existentialist therapy is the latter case, one of freedom and meaning, then I don't have much of a problem.
Maybe Unamuno can help. Like we said in class today, Unamuno argues that there is nothing absolute about the world in which we live. At first glance, this may seem terrifying and rather depressing insofar as it often launches us into "uncertainty, doubt, and perpetual wrestling with the myth of our final destiny." However, he seems to want to say that this sort of freedom we doomed to face is the very thing that makes it possible for meaning to enter our lives.
If existentialist therapy helps us learn how to create value and find meaning in our lives so that we can "act as if [we] were to die tomorrow, but only in order to survive and become eternal," then it seems totally productive. However, I agree with Leah that if existential therapy is merely designed to show us how frightening life really is, then I don't see the point.
I agree with existential therapy in the fact that it address anxiety not so much as something negative, but rather something that can help guide a person in making choices in their life. Regular anxiety (not anxiety disorders) is a normal part of life that is often experienced when making a choice. Any choice that changes someone's future is going to produce some anxiety, even though that person cannot know whether their choice is right or wrong. Therefore, existential therapy could be very useful to some people to direct their anxiety in a productive way. For example, someone who was previously paralyzed with anxiety before making a choice can tame that fear through existential therapy. However, I disagree with the goal of the realization of meaning in existential therapy. I just have a problem believing that a therapist can help someone realize meaning... if someone does not have their own sense of innate meaning, I do not think it can be learned.
Okay, I've reread the blog again and been thinking about it a bit more on whether or not this existential therapy would actually help people out. In one sense, I really don't think it's right for a lot of people because instead of leading them to productive choices, it might just paralyze them in anxiety about all the responsibility that comes from these infinite choices. I'm sure that some people are just not ready for that big shocker yet. On the other hand, realizing your potential and your complete responsibility may make some screwed up people step up to the plate. As for finding meaning in this vast sea of choice and anxiety, I think that the therapist doesn't give it to you, but rather guides you on how to reach a point where you choose your life's meaning. I don't think the existential therapist provides the meaning of it all, because, really, no therapist can actually do that. Anyway, I guess my point is that existential therapy is a lot like other therapies- it's not for everyone, but for the people it can help, it's worth its existence.
This is an extremely interesting type of therapy, which I never even knew existed. I especially love how it unites the themes of angst (Heidegger), value creating (Nietzsche), and individual freedom (Sartre). However, I take issue with the conclusion that it is impossible for Existential Therapy to reach an ultimate conclusion (as the “realization of freedom and meaning”. If the goal of this therapy is "the realization of freedom and meaning," I do not believe that existentialism necessarily contradicts this, at least according to the existentialist theory of Unamuno. In Unamuno's sailing metaphor, he describes an individual who is sailing through the waters (life?) on a sinkable craft (self-created, and controvertible, values) who is “perhaps without a set course” (158). This last statement (at least to me) implies that having a set destination or "ultimate conclusion" does not exclude an individual from acting in such a way as to "create his [or her] spiritual world". Moreover, one can easily fit Unamuno's ultimate goal - "Act so that in your own judgment and in the judgment of others you may deserve eternity..." (159) - can easily fit into the guidelines of "the realization of freedom and meaning," for it is because of freedom that one is capable of acting in such a way as to "not deserve death," and it is in these very actions that we find human meaning, eternal happiness.
The key is NOT living without an answer. Given an ABSOLUTE answer may not be found, this can be thought of as the greatest joy in life. I completely agree with Jen when she writes, "this sort of freedom we doomed to face is the very thing that makes it possible for meaning to enter our lives." By having no final answer, one is able to create their own values and give meaning to one's individual life. Ursula, to write that one can not learn meaning is a very pessimistic statement. While it takes some time, therapy, life experience, or the people you surround yourself with, I have high hopes that all people have the ability to create their own values and even that most people have already but have yet to realize it. Even the recognition of one's own values will lead to meaning in a life.
Post a Comment